Head and neck cancers are specific types of cancer that affects the head and neck area, including:
• Voice box or larynx
• Lymph nodes
• Nasal cavity
• Salivary glands, lips, tongue and other oral cavity tissues such as the inner lining of the cheek
The symptoms of head and neck cancer depend on the origin of the cancer. Common symptoms include:
• A sore throat that does not resolve
• Bleeding in the mouth or throat
• Bleeding through nose
• Blood in the saliva or mucus discharge in mouth from the respiratory passages
• Change or hoarseness in the voice, often considered the first symptom of cancer of the larynx
• Constant pain or numbness in the throat or other parts of the face
• Continuous earache, difficulty hearing or persistent ringing in the ear
• Difficulty breathing or noisy mouth breathing
• Difficulty swallowing food or liquids
• Excessive fatigue
• Frequent headaches
• Lump or sore that does not heal
• Numb feeling in the mouth
• Painless swelling in the neck, jaw or on the side of the face
• Sudden weight loss or gain
• Swelling around the eyes area or double vision
• Swelling of one or more lymph nodes in the neck
• White or red patches in the mouth
Many different types of head and neck cancers start by showing innocuous early symptoms that are easy to overlook. If you experience any particular symptom that may be related to such types of cancer, schedule a visit to head and neck cosmetic surgery associates in Chicago, to assess and diagnose your particular health problem.
Generally, head and neck cancer treatment depends on the type of cancer, how early the diagnosis and the severity of symptoms. Only a specialist can give you detailed information about different treatment options such as head and neck cancer surgery, radiation therapy, targeted therapy, chemotherapy, or a combination of treatments.
Snoring and sleep apnea are both common problems that affect a large number of people around the globe. Recent research reveals that as many as 20 million Americans may suffer from sleep apnea every night. This serious medical condition is characterized by frequent, abrupt pauses in breathing during sleep, usually lasting from a few seconds to minutes. This repeated interruption of fresh oxygen to the brain and other organs can plague sufferers of sleep apnea with constant fatigue, mood swings, daytime sleepiness, inability to think clearly and many other symptoms.
In most cases, sleep apnea remains undiagnosed because the condition is difficult to detect and can only be observed by the patient’s sleeping partner. In cases of mild sleep apnea, making several healthy changes to your lifestyle, such as losing weight and quitting a smoking habit may cure mild sleep apnea. If the condition is more severe, doctors also recommend using oral appliances for sleep apnea while sleeping.
These sleep apnea dental appliances are generally recommended for patients who do not respond quickly to other types of medical treatments. They are small, custom-made flexible devices made of plastic that fit inside the mouth much like an orthodontic retainer or as a sports guard to help the sufferer breathe properly while sleeping.
Dental appliance for sleep apnea may be categorized into two types:
Mandibular Repositioning Appliances
Mandibular repositioning appliances help in maintaining the position of the lower jaw in a protruded position during sleep. These devices keep the airway open by indirectly pulling the tongue and jaw forward so that the relaxed throat muscles prohibit the tongue from slumping backwards covering the airway. These dental devices also hold the lower jaw and other mouth structures in a fixed position to keep the mouth from opening.
Tongue Retaining Appliances
Tongue retaining appliances works by holding the tongue in a forward position with the help of a suction bulb. When the tongue is in a forward position, this bulb prevents the back of the tongue from collapsing during sleep and obstructing the airway.
Asthma is an incurable long-term medical condition that may be easily controlled with proper medication. If you or your loved ones suffer from asthma, you should be aware of the symptoms of asthma and the options for keeping the condition under control. In addition, the patient should visit an ENT specialist regularly to monitor their asthma closely and make medication changes as necessary.
Listed below are some of the most common and most effective asthma treatments and cures options.
Pocket-sized inhalers are a common method to administer quick doses of asthma medications on the go. Inhalers are quite popular because they directly deliver the medication to the lungs. Since asthma tends to strike when the person is out enjoying life or working, an inhaler is an ideal solution for rapid asthma relief anywhere.
An asthma nebulizer is a compact machine that vaporizes asthma medications and administers them through a facial mask fitted over the nose and mouth for a few minutes at a time. Nebulizers make it easy to administer asthma medications and steroids to infants, small children, elderly people or anyone who may have difficulty in inhaling the medicines from an inhaler.
Steroids and other Anti-Inflammatory Drugs
An anti-inflammatory drug is one of the most effective asthma attack treatment options for patients. The medicine reduces the swelling and mucus production in the airways, which in turn reduces the reaction of asthma triggers that worsen the symptoms of asthma.
Besides getting on a regimen of the right medications, making some changes in your routine may also help to reduce the flare-ups of your asthma. Always consult your physician before starting on a rigorous or new type of exercise or sports.
Long-term asthma medications help you to lead a healthy, normal life. When you experience the onset of asthma symptoms, make an appointment with ENT doctors in Chicago ENT. The professional, highly skilled allergy specialist Chicago ENT will carefully diagnose your condition and suggest your best treatment for asthma.
Are men and women becoming increasingly obsessed with their outward appearance? While impossible to prove, there are certainly more options for improving appearance than ever before. Age, however, is always an important factor with a strong impact on a person’s physical appearance. Somewhere in your 20s and 30s, wrinkles, creases and fine lines may start appearing on your face and neck, which can begin to decrease a person’s self-confidence and self-esteem.
To remedy the natural effects of aging, disease or injury, facial cosmetic surgery is becoming increasingly popular among people among men and women of all ages. Here are some facts you might want to consider about cosmetic surgery.
- Personality development: Facial cosmetic surgery often results in improved looks and appearance that helps in boosting the recipient’s morale. Recent studies have shown that cosmetic surgery may have a substantial impact on the social life of people and helps in bringing out the person’s latent personality.
- Confidence Level: In most cases, cosmetic surgery is crucial in reinforcing or building a person’s confidence and self-image. It also may have an impact on a person’s overall mental health and psychology. Studies have shown that people who have successfully undergone elective or required plastic surgery are happier than those who do without.
- Cost: Today, there are a number of centers for facial cosmetic surgery in Chicago, which offer reasonably priced specialized surgical options and cosmetic treatments.
- Health: Cosmetic surgery is not always for outward enhancement but may be used for reconstruction procedures that include a number of health benefits. For example, some women with very large breasts experience back or neck pain, compressed disks, curvature of the spine and other aggravating symptoms that are eliminated or significantly reduced by plastic surgery. Furthermore, removal of breast tissue in women and men significantly reduce the risks of breast cancer.
Before agreeing to have any kind of cosmetic surgery done on your body, discuss the surgery, expected results and any side effects with a surgeon specializing in facial plastic surgery in Chicago. After developing a realistic idea of the procedure and your expectations, contact your Chicago cosmetic surgery and dermatology center.
For millions of people, even a slight change in season may cause a wide range of reactions to naturally occurring allergens and irritants. Sneezing, runny nose, itchy or watery eyes, wheezing, difficulty breathing and skin eruptions are some of the most common symptoms of allergies from seasonal sources such as grass, plants, pet dander, flowers and other allergens floating in the air at any given time of the year.
Ideally, if you find the symptoms of your allergies difficult to tolerate, you may want to try some natural remedies for controlling your allergy symptoms and getting some well-deserved relief. While home remedies for allergies do not cure or complicate the underlying condition, they may temporarily reduce your discomfort using natural ingredients that should have few, if any side effects. Some of these home remedies include:
- Honey: Eating a tablespoon of locally sourced honey everyday is said to relieve the symptoms of your allergy because it incorporates the very allergens you may have difficulty with from flowers, trees and shrubs.
- Diet Change: Making small healthy changes in your eating habits may also ease your allergy symptoms. If you are experiencing headaches due to allergies, avoiding alcoholic beverages, nuts, wheat, cheese, chocolate, milk and eggs in your diet may be helpful depending on what is triggering your allergy attacks. Dairy products contribute to nasal congestion and mucous production so avoiding them should help you feel better.
- Avoid Cooked Fats and Oils: When you are suffering from allergies, your body has more difficulty digesting cooked fats and oils. Undigested fats increase mucus production so avoiding excessive amounts of fats and oils will reduce allergy symptoms.
- Steam: Inhaling steam is an effective option in relieving your toughest allergy symptoms. Make sure that you cover your head with towel or cloth while inhaling steam from a bowl of hot water. The vapors from the steam rising moisten the nasal passages and allow the proper mucus drainage.
- Neti Pot: This ancient technique looks much more exotic than it really is. Using a neti pot rinses your nasal cavity and sinuses with a warmed saline solution, flushing out allergens and loosening mucus.
- Probiotic Drinks: Probiotic drinks help increasing the good types of gut bacteria and relieve the symptoms of allergies, particularly from post-nasal drip.
- Hot Beverages: Drinking tea, coffee, hot chocolate, milk and other warm beverages can ease the symptoms of allergies because the warm liquids also warm the mucous lining and encourage better drainage to flush allergens from your body.
- Eucalyptus Oil: Eucalyptus oil contains anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties that help in opening blocked nasal passages. Add a few drops of eucalyptus oil to a bowl of hot water and inhale its steam to open nasal passages and drain mucus more quickly.
Besides these home-based treatments, drinking lots of water also helps in controlling the allergies by keeping your body hydrated. If your allergies are severe or its symptoms persist for more than a week, seek medical assistance for the treatment of allergies. Consult allergy specialist Chicago
The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland in the front of the neck, just below the larynx. The thyroid produces two hormones that are essential to the regulation of the body’s metabolism. The proper functioning of the thyroid gland has an impact on every aspect of our health including heart rate, weight gain, energy level and mood swings among many others. There are two key types of thyroid issues: hypothyroidism, a deficiency in the amount of hormones produced by the thyroid and hyperthyroidism, an overabundance in hormone production.
Weight loss and gain, fatigue, hair loss, irregular menstrual periods, depression and lack of focus and concentration are some of the common symptoms people often mention in connection with thyroid disorder.
Treatment options for thyroid issues depend greatly on the type and severity of the condition. Below are some of the most effective treatment options for thyroid disorder treatment in Chicago:
- Radioactive Iodine: This treatment option aims at damaging or killing the cells of the thyroid gland to limit or destroy their ability to release hormones. Appropriate levels of the hormones are administered by medication after the iodine treatment.
- Anti-thyroid medication: Certain anti-thyroid medications such as carbimazole, methimazole or propylthiouracil are used to inhibit production of thyroid hormones. This treatment option is not recommended for pregnant and breastfeeding women.
- Surgery: Surgery is suggested as a treatment option if the hyperthyroidism is due to toxic adenomas or nodules. The surgery removes the cancerous tissue to restore the normal functioning of thyroid.
The treatment options for hypothyroidism work to replenish and supplement the levels of thyroid hormone in your body. You and your doctor will choose the best course of treatment from the different options available. Here are the most common treatment options for hypothyroidism.
- Synthetic L-thyroxine (T4) preparation: This treatment option is used as an initial treatment for a wide variety of hypothyroidism condition.
- Synthetic L-triiodothyronine (T3) preparation: This treatment is more of a bioactive hormone therapy.
- Another treatment options involves the combination of both synthetic L-thyroxine (T4) preparation and synthetic l-triiodothyronine (T3) preparation.
Take any symptoms of thyroid disorder seriously and contact your primary care physician immediately for consultation and diagnosis on thyroid disorder and treatment. Consult a thyroid specialist in Chicago to learn more about the best options for you.
Traditionally, serious sinus issues have been treated by a technique known as Functional Endoscopic Sinus Surgery (FESS). Upon completion of this FESS surgery, sutures on the face are required. This procedure also gives rise to an unsightly and uncomfortable sinus packing that risks infection and pain. Other treatments for sinusitis include nasal steroids sprays, antibiotics and various types of oral medications, with steroids in the form of pills most commonly prescribed. The medications may not be effective in all patients, and sinusitis can then become a chronic illness in some cases. A chronic infection does not always respond well to prescriptive medications and surgery but may require more innovative techniques and therapies.
Balloon Sinuplasty, sinus balloon surgery, also called balloon angioplasty, is a type of endoscopic treatment that involves inserting a catheter and wire attached to the endoscope. The endoscope is guided in the nostril into the sinus cavities and the balloon is inflated to unblock the sinuses and open the sinus walls. Then the balloon is deflated and the sinus lining returns to its original shape. The cavity is sprayed with saline to remove any residual pus or mucous.
- Minimally invasive
- High success rate and patient satisfaction
- No cutting of the nasal bone or tissue
- Performed in the physician’s office with local anesthesia
- Fast recovery time
- Simple procedure
Chicago ENT, the pioneers’ of Sinus treatment in Chicago, is a team of eight doctors with extensive experience in treatment for sinus, allergies, head and neck cancer, asthma and vertigo. This practice is dedicated to using the latest techniques and minimally invasive procedures with high success rates. The highly skilled surgical team at Chicago ENT ensures that the patient is comfortable with their treatments from the initial consultation through their post-operative checkups, emotionally and physically.